- to express my dismay about the break-up of the collection
- and to comment that this seemed particularly egregious if--as has been stated--there was an agreement at the time of the donation of the collection to the society that it would be held intact.
- The society is grateful to the University and Cathedral for looking after the collection
- The society recognises that the collection is valuable to 'religious historians'
- The society exists to serve solicitors in England and Wales and a collection of 'historic religious documents' doesn't help with this purpose
- The decision to sell wasn't taken lightly and
- The society has made it cleat that they would be happy to sell the collection to the University and Cathedral.
ETA (24/7/2012): In case you haven't already seen it, there's a petition against the dispersal of the collection (further information about the petition).